7 Tips to Stand-Out at
USTA All-American College Combine
Alyssa Simonin | June 4, 2018
The USTA All-American College Combine presented by adidas anticipates the arrival of 128 junior players, eager to showcase their skills in front of collegiate coaches from around the country. The players’ goal is to get noticed, and continue their tennis careers on a college team.
Check out this gallery and the list below for a few tips on how to stand-out from the crowd during fitness evaluations and competitive match play.
Tips provided by Dr. Mark Kovacs, a performance physiologist, researcher, professor, author, speaker and coach with an extensive background training and researching elite athletes, and will be overseeing the fitness portion of the USTA All-American College Combine. Kovacs formerly directed the Sport Science, Strength and Conditioning and Coaching Education departments for the USTA and was the Director of the Gatorade Sport Science Institute.
1) Fight and compete for every point and drill.
2) Bring positive energy in everything you do.
3) When speaking with coaches and USTA staff, look people in the eye and be very respectful.
4) Ask questions.
5) Listen intently and with the goal to understand.
6) Take your opportunities and highlight your strengths.
7) Show great sportsmanship and limit your negative emotion.